Thursday 14 June 2012

As every story has 2 sides...

There are some places you visit and you have a fairly good idea what to expect. Going to Istanbul I was very uncertain what I would see, things I would experience and how I would feel about it.

The city definitely reminded me of Budapest and Vienna, but also had the hustle and bustle, markets and feel of Bangkok. The mixture of European influence and Asian atmosphere was an interesting combination for the senses, in many ways it felt like the best of both worlds, since I loved Bangkok but enjoy the style of European cities. 

I went for a 4 day break and definitely could have spent an extra day or two in the city if I had the time to spare. I was fairly out of season (the weather was sunny but it wasn't super warm), yet on the Saturday the city was packed. From what I heard people come from outside the city to do their shopping on the Saturday, so prepare for Bangkok- level busy. 

Take 5: 

1. Wondering around the city at night; beautiful buildings, lively atmosphere and warm enough to wear a light jacket.


2. Climb to the top of the Galata tower for incredible views over the city. 


3. We experienced quite a mixture of food, but by far the most enjoyable thing was the selection of baklava on offer.


4. The Spice Market- a sensory overload, where you are invited to try things first. 



5. A boat trip up the Bosphorus (Istanbul Strait); windy, but a must-do, you get to see both sides of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment